Table of Contents
Introduction to the Government of Mauritius Africa Scholarships
Applications are now open for the Mauritius Africa Scholarships 2024/2025. The Government of Mauritius is dedicated to advancing capacity-building efforts across the African continent and has recently launched a scholarship program to support deserving students. The scholarships are available to resident citizens of African Union member states or African Commonwealth countries who meet certain eligibility criteria.
To be considered for the scholarship, applicants must demonstrate academic excellence, financial need, and a commitment to contributing to the development of their home country. Additionally, preference will be given to candidates pursuing studies in areas that align with the development priorities of Mauritius, including but not limited to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), renewable energy, and sustainable development.
- Applicants for Mauritius Africa Scholarships for undergraduate programmes should be above 18 years of age and should not have reached their 26th birthday by January 1st, 2025.
- Applicants for Mauritius Africa Scholarships for Master’s programs should not have reached 35 years
- Applicants for Mauritius Africa Scholarships for PhD programs should not have reached 45 years of age by the closing date of application
- Applicants must have applied for full-time on-campus studies at any public Tertiary Education Institution in Mauritius for the academic year starting in 2024;
- The scholarship will be for a maximum of four (4) years or the minimum course duration whichever is lesser.
- Candidates already holders of an undergraduate degree will NOT be eligible under this scholarship scheme.
- Self-financing candidates already studying in Mauritius will NOT be eligible under this Scholarship scheme.
Qualifications and Entry Requirements
- Mauritius Africa Scholarships’ candidates should have completed end of secondary school to be eligible and should satisfy the minimum grade requirements as indicated below: : (i) 24 points at GCE A – Level which will be computed based on the following grades obtained in three Principal subjects: A+=10, A=9, B=8, C=7, D=6 & E=5; OR (ii) at least an overall average of 70% or an overall average of, 14/20; OR (iii) criteria equivalent to (i) or (ii) above.
- In case the language of instruction is not English in the qualifying examination, the candidate will have to provide valid TOEFL or IELTS test results with a minimum score of at least 550 or 5.5 respectively, or an appropriate proof of English Language proficiency.
Benefits of Mauritius Africa Scholarships
The Scholarship will support successful candidates in meeting tuition fees and contribute to their living expenses during their studies in Mauritius. Furthermore, the airfare will be covered by the most economical route from the country of origin at the beginning of the studies and back to the country of origin at the end of the studies. This will be valid for travel from the country of origin at the beginning of the studies and back to the country of origin upon successful completion of studies.
Duration of Scholarship
- Undergraduate Diploma Three (3) years
- Undergraduate Degree Four (4) years
- Master’s Two (2) years
- PhD Three (3) years
How to Apply
Note that the intake deadline for electronic submission is July/September 2024, while the deadline for submission of hard copies is April 19, 2024.
Hard copy applications, together with supporting documents as required, should be forwarded to the Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science, and Technology of the Republic of Mauritius at the address mentioned below for a final selection.
The Senior Chief Executive,
Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science and Technology
(Attn: Tertiary Education and Scientific Research Division)
Level 2, MITD House, Pont Fer, Phoenix 73544.
Republic of Mauritius (Email: email@example.com)
Electronic applications, together with supporting documents, should be submitted via the link below. It is important to go through all application requirements and instructions before applying.
Also apply to: