Drawing on an innovative, interdisciplinary approach, the programme integrates methods and resources from the natural and social sciences, as well as the humanities.
- Host Country: Japan
- Location: Study in Asia
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | 120,000 JPY Monthly Stipends
- Deadline: February 10, 2023
The programme aims to produce the policymakers and researchers of tomorrow, who will be at the forefront of global efforts towards a more sustainable future. Studying at UNU-IAS brings the unique benefits of:
- Collaborative research & practical experience,
- A global university within the UN system, and
- An international and interactive learning environment in central Tokyo.
The programme is intended for recent graduates, professionals and practitioners who seek to meaningfully contribute to the work of governments, civil society, the private sector, and/or the UN and other international organizations in the area of sustainability.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be persons from developing countries* who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance;
- Applicants who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship;
- Applicants who are already enrolled in other postgraduate degree programmes are not eligible. This includes those who have already obtained a master’s degree at an institution other than UNU-IAS; and
- Applicants must not be recipients of other scholarships concurrently.
- The organizers of the JFUNU Scholarship expects recipients to write a short essay on their learning and experiences at UNU. Before graduation, each recipient is2 to submit a note of appreciation to the donors with reflections on their future plans.
- Recipients agree to foster collaboration with JFUNU through participating in JFUNU activities, events, and other opportunities offered to the student body.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- The JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY as a support package for a maximum of 24 months. The tuition fees may be waived for the scholarship recipients.
Applicants who are shortlisted for an interview:
- Receive an email regarding when and how to submit additional supporting documents.
- Submit the supporting documents via email by the deadline (expected to be late March 2023).
- Referees will receive an email from the Admissions Office with a request to provide the reference by the deadline (expected to be late March 2023).
Method of Application
The Application Guidelines for 2023 will be available in early January 2023. If you wish to start preparing your application in advance, please refer to the Application Guidelines 2022 (How to Apply and Application Checklist sections).
- Review the checklist and prepare the application materials.
- Register online (the link will be available here when the application period opens).
- Receive an email from UNU-IAS Admissions Office with a link to the Application Form.
- Submit the Application Form by the deadline (10 February 2023).
- Receive an automatic email to confirm that the Admissions Office has received your application.
The application must be done in one sitting – you cannot save your application and continue it later. Before you start your Application Form, please gather all necessary materials listed in the Application Guidelines and make sure to have all of them ready to fill in the Form.
The Application Form is composed of 12 sections of questions and essays. There are back/next buttons at the bottom of each section in the form, which enable you to go back to previous sections to edit the answered boxes before you click the submit button at the end of the form.