Table of Contents
Introduction to the Turkey Postgraduate Fellowship Program
Applications are now open for the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey postgraduate fellowship program 2023/2024.title -->
If you are a scholar from a developing country in the Global South with aspirations to advance your research career and earn a Ph.D. in natural and related applied sciences, you’ll be delighted to learn about the postgraduate fellowship program jointly established by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) and TWAS (The World Academy of Sciences).
This initiative is designed to provide valuable opportunities for researchers like you to pursue your academic dreams in the diverse and thriving scientific landscape of Turkey. Turkey has a vibrant academic and research culture, with universities that offer state-of-the-art research facilities, excellent faculty, and a vibrant network of research partners. We provide tailored support to help you establish successful research collaborations and gain access to cutting-edge technologies and resources.
About the Postgraduate Fellowship Program
The TÜBİTAK-TWAS fellowship program offers a unique chance for scholars from developing countries in the South to embark on a journey toward a Ph.D. in various fields of natural and applied sciences. The program opens doors to departments and laboratories in both public and private universities across Turkey, as well as TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes.
Applicants are required to submit their applications exclusively through the TÜBİTAK online application system (TYBS). Prior to this, candidates must create a profile on the TÜBİTAK Researcher Information System (ARBİS).
Successful candidates will be awarded tenable fellowships for a minimum of 6 months to a maximum of 12 months. Eligible fields for research under this program include:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell, and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences, including Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space, and Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
To assist candidates in selecting a suitable host institution, a list of public and private universities in Turkey can be found on the Yükseköğretim Kurulu (YÖK) website.
In addition, TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes offer a wealth of opportunities:
- TÜBİTAK MAM
- TÜBİTAK BİLGEM
- TÜBİTAK UZAY
- TÜBİTAK SAGE
- TÜBİTAK RUTE
- TÜBİTAK UME
- TÜBİTAK TÜSSİDE
- TÜBİTAK TBAE
- TÜBİTAK ULAKBİM
- TÜBİTAK National Observatory
- TÜBİTAK BUTAL
The Postgraduate Fellowship Program Sandwich Option
This fellowship program also offers a “sandwich” research visit option to Ph.D. students from developing countries currently registered for a Ph.D. in their home country or another developing country (excluding Turkey). Candidates should have either passed the Ph.D. qualifying exam or be in an advanced stage of their Ph.D. research.
Financial Support Details
TWAS will provide travel support to and from Turkey, along with covering visa-related expenses. Meanwhile, TÜBİTAK will offer a monthly allowance to cover accommodation, living expenses, and medical facilities for minor ailments in Turkey. Also, study fees, including tuition, registration, and research costs, should either be waived or covered by the host institutes.
Applicants for the TÜBİTAK-TWAS fellowship program must meet the following criteria:
- Be permanent residents and nationals of a developing country in the South.
- Candidates from Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLC) and women are especially encouraged to apply.
- Must not hold any temporary or permanent residency visa in Turkey or any developed country.
- Hold a master’s or equivalent degree in natural and related applied sciences.
- Be a maximum age of 35 years as of December 31 of the application year.
- Have registered for a Ph.D. in natural and related applied sciences and either passed the Ph.D. qualifying exam or are in an advanced stage of their Ph.D. research.
- Provide an official acceptance letter from an eligible department, institution, or laboratory of a public or private university in Turkey or TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes.
How to Apply
Note that the call for applications is open from September 15, 2023, until December 25, 2023. All applications must be submitted online via
Other available opportunities: