Table of Contents
Introduction to the 2024 American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship promotes educational access and opportunity while enhancing international diversity. Bringing together the best of AU—academic excellence, leadership development, and global engagement—the AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision. The AU EGL is dedicated to positive civic and social change and will return home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in their home country. We invite you to meet our inspiring current AU Emerging Global Leader Scholars and recent EGLS alumni.
The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room, and board) for one international student who will need a non-immigrant visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States. The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets, taxes, and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S. $4,000 per year).
The AU EGL scholarship is renewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance. Students interested in all majors offered at AU are eligible to apply. The scholarship is open to both domestic and international students. Applicants must demonstrate financial need and be accepted to American University. The scholarship does not cover living expenses such as rent, food, transportation, and other personal expenses. Applicants must demonstrate a strong academic record and a commitment to community service. Applicants must also provide evidence of financial need.
Note that only one AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is available for Fall 2024. If you are not selected as the 2024 AU EGL recipient and wish to continue the application process, you may be eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, you will need to submit proof of additional funds beyond the initial U.S. $4,000 you provided. Estimated costs for the 2024–2025 academic year are $78,296. Partial merit scholarships may be enough to cover the remaining costs. The partial merit scholarships are based on the applicant’s academic performance. Applicants should visit the official website for more detailed information.
Eligibility Criteria for the 2024 American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
You are not eligible to apply if:
- You are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, U.S. pending permanent resident, or dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
- You are enrolled in or have already begun any post-secondary studies at another university in your home country or the United States.
- You graduated from secondary school earlier than 2022.
AU EGLS applicants must apply for the fall (August) 2024 Regular Decision. Do not apply Early Decision (ED).
Selection Criteria for the 2024 American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
Preference will be given to:
- International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges, as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating classes) for 9th–12th grades
- Demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students with one of the following:
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017)
- 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above)
- 33 minimum SAT Reading subscore
- 29 minimum ACT English
- 65 minimum PTE
- 125+ Duolingo (all subscores must be 115 or above)
- Cambridge Assessment English score of 185 or higher. Each sub-score must be 169 or higher.
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary or high school and are graduating by June 2024
- Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at least 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A-levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2024.
The AU EGLS selection process is the most competitive. Priority consideration will be given to those AU EGLS applicants who apply and complete the AU EGLS application, Common Application, and international admissions document submission process, including proof of English proficiency and a bank letter confirming US$4,000 by December 15, 2023.
Application Process for the 2024 American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
The application process has closed for first-year students applying for fall 2023. Please check back in mid-September for information regarding the 2024 EGLS application.
- Complete the online AU EGLS application; the application will be available on September 15, 2023.
- Submit a bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form, each demonstrating a minimum of U.S.$4,000. These can be uploaded via your Future Eagle Portal or sent by fax to +1-202-885-1025. Examples of bank letters and the AU CFIS form template
- Submit your official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English, PTE, or Cambridge Assessment English Test score results by December 15, 2023, at the latest. Please have official English proficiency score reports sent directly by the testing agency to American University, Undergraduate Admissions, Washington, District of Columbia. Please note: Students cannot submit their own results.
- Complete and submit the Common Application or Coalition Application, together with all supporting documents per checklist, by the AU EGLS priority deadline of December 15, 2023, or by January 15, 2024 at the latest. Please note that the preliminary AU EGLS application packet must include a bank letter confirming a minimum of US$4,000 (not US$78,296). Students who do not submit a complete application packet with all supporting documents by the deadline will not be reviewed.
- If you are applying through a program supported by EducationUSA or if you are a past FLEX or YES high school scholarship recipient from the U.S. Department of State, please provide a letter from your EducationUSA center’s adviser confirming your candidacy. You may request for the letter to be sent to email@example.com as a PDF.
- If you are not selected as one of the finalists, you may still be considered for admission to American University, Washington, DC, and eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, to continue the application process, you must submit proof of funds totaling $78,296 (estimated costs for the first year of study).
Semi-finalists and finalists will be required to participate in Zoom interviews and/or submit additional essays. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ready to apply? Then click the link below to get started!