Table of Contents
Introduction to the Yenching Academy Masters Fellowships
Applications for the Yenching Academy masters fellowships are now open to international students. The Yenching Academy Masters Fellowships are open to international students from a wide variety of disciplinary backgrounds. The fellowships provide a comprehensive educational experience that emphasizes research, interdisciplinary study, and leadership development. Fellows are provided with full funding for their studies. There are about 125 available slots for the Yenching Academy masters fellowship.
Master of Arts in China Studies with a curriculum that covers six broad categories literature and culture; history and archaeology; philosophy and religion; politics and international relations; economics and management; and law and society. Academy courses will be available in both English and Chinese.
The Yenching Academy is a fully-funded residential program offering various interdisciplinary courses on China within the Humanities and Social Sciences.
Working closely with their academic mentors, Yenching Scholars have the flexibility to create their study paths by choosing from six research areas and a variety of extracurricular activities. Studying at the Academy represents a unique opportunity not only for intercultural and academic exchange but also for personal and professional development.
Available Fields of Study
Scholars participate in infield studies of culturally, economically, or socio-politically significant regions within Mainland China. Each Scholar chooses one of six research areas corresponding to the thesis topic. (The research area does not affect course selection options or requirements.)
• Economics & Management
• History & Archaeology
• Law & Society
• Literature & Culture
• Philosophy & Religion
• Politics & International Relations
Applicants should have:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field, awarded no later than August 31 of the year in which they wish to enroll;
- An outstanding academic record;
- Strong interest in the interdisciplinary study of China;
- A record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement and social responsibility;
- Leadership potential;
- English proficiency.
Successful applicants will show how the Yenching Academy program is relevant and valuable for their career plans. Preference is given to candidates age 25 or younger as of August 31 2022. For students from countries with mandatory military service, the age preference is 27 years old or younger.
Benefits of the Yenching Academy Masters Fellowships
Yenching Academy provides a generous postgraduate fellowship covering tuition fees, a travel stipend for one round-trip journey between each Scholar’s base city and Beijing, accommodations, and a monthly living stipend.
Duration of the Program
- Fellowships for international scholars are for 12 months, with the option to extend for a second year in Beijing.
- During the second year in Beijing, students may apply for a limited number of Teaching, Research, or Administrative Assistantships.
- In addition, scholars may apply for grants to help fund research projects related to China Studies.
- All students complete coursework during their first year. The second year is for completing thesis writing and defence (international students who choose to leave Beijing after the first year may complete thesis defence remotely). Degrees are granted upon completing all coursework and satisfactory defence of the thesis and are awarded in January and July of each year.
- The Academy also offers a limited number of doctoral scholarships to selected Yenching Scholars who want to pursue doctoral degrees in other Peking University departments.
How to Apply
Ready to apply?
Bear in mind that the deadline for applications is December 3, 2023. So jump on this opportunity as quickly as you can.