Table of Contents
Introduction to the Digital Skills Training Program
UNITAR Digital Skills Training Program for Women and Youth in Africa is now receiving applications.
Women and youth in 24 countries in Africa are invited to apply to the UNITAR programme Developing Essential Digital Skills for Women and Youth in Africa aimed at enhancing Employment Opportunities and Livelihood Development in the Digital Economy.
In over six months, participants will build high-demand digital skills to increase employment and income-generating potential to develop socially responsible digital start-ups and improve leadership and entrepreneurial skills to drive change and innovation in their communities.
The training programme will provide high-demand digital skills to increase employment and income-generating potential as well as guide participants on developing socially responsible digital start-ups and build leadership and entrepreneurial skills to drive change and innovation. The programme will run from September 2023 to February 2024 and have online and in-person elements.
Phases of the Digital Skills Training Program
The programme is divided into three phases:
Phase I – Online Training (September to December 2023): Participants will complete self-paced e-modules on a digital learning platform, join webinars and receive online coaching and mentoring support.
Phase II – Self-led Projects and Virtual Boot Camp (December 2023 to January 2024): The participants will be selected from Phase I based on their performance including their assignments and presentations. Self-led projects and virtual boot camps will allow participants to apply their skills and knowledge in addressing a development challenge.
Phase III – Sustainability and Community Leadership Training (February 2024): Participants who reach phase III will receive additional training on community-building and leadership skills and create a strong network of trainers for future cohorts.
- The modules will cover:
- Digital infrastructure & connectivity
- Digital innovation and transformation
- Frontier technologies including AI, big data, robotics, blockchain, IoT, and VR
- Software development
- Cybersecurity & Data protection
- Digital media
- Project management
- Digital Inclusion and the digital Gender divide
- Digital entrepreneurship
- Training of trainers
- Training for coaches
- Leadership and locally-led ecosystem building
In particular, we are looking for women and youth who meet the following criteria.
- The programme will prioritize participants from 24 African counties, namely: Botswana, Burundi, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Applicants should be keen to learn by doing, with a passion for development and information technologies.
- Applicants should be between 18 and 35 years old, however, women of all ages, including those over 35, are encouraged to apply, as their unique experiences and skills are valued.
- Applicants should have good oral and written English communication skills.
- Applicants should be computer literate and have access to a laptop/internet.
- Applicants should be interested in leveraging opportunities brought by digital technology.
- Applicants should be passionate to succeed and make a positive impact on their communities.
- Applicants should be committed to completing the Programme.
- Applicants should be interested to keep their tech skills up to date or break into a tech career.
- Applicants should be able to provide a recommendation letter from an individual with verifiable credentials.
- Applicants should (preferably) be university graduates and are tech-savvy.
Benefits of the Digital Skills Training Program
- Access to world-class instructors in your chosen field
- A certificate of completion will be issued by UNITAR to all participants who complete the course-related assignments and assessments.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should proceed to read the full details about the program on the official announcement page proceeding to the application page. Do note that the application is slated to close on the 4th of September 2023.