Introduction to the United Nations-UNHCR Fellowship in New York
Applications are now open for the United Nations-UNHCR Fellowship in New York. Are you passionate about international relations, refugee issues, and humanitarian response? Do you have a degree in international relations, political sciences, law, or a related field? If your answer is yes, then the UNHCR Fellowship in New York might be the perfect opportunity for you. This fellowship offers recent graduates or 2024-degree candidates the chance to work closely with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and contribute to global humanitarian efforts.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a leading international organization dedicated to protecting the rights and well-being of refugees and displaced persons around the world. UNHCR provides essential support to those forced to flee their homes due to conflict, persecution, or other crises.
UNHCR Fellowship Details
The UNHCR Fellowship is a full-time opportunity in New York, United States of America. The UNHCR Fellowship programme is scheduled to start on January 2, 2024. Note that the application deadline is December 30, 2023.
As a UNHCR Fellow, you will have the unique opportunity to work in New York and play a vital role in advancing UNHCR’s mission. Here are some of the key responsibilities and activities you will be involved in:
- Attend and report on assigned meetings promptly.
- Support UNHCR’s engagement with humanitarian, development, and other UN bodies and processes.
- Monitor, analyze, and report on key developments related to issues affecting UNHCR’s operations.
- Stay informed about UNHCR’s global operations and policies, facilitating smooth information flow.
- Promote UNHCR’s objectives through participation in briefings and inter-agency meetings.
- Advocate for the inclusion of UNHCR positions in UN policies.
- Follow and report on relevant negotiations and high-level events.
- Conduct research on topics of relevance and interest.
- Support UNHCR’s participation in international and bilateral forums in New York.
- Assist in planning and organizing public events.
Training and Learning Components
During your fellowship, you will have access to a range of training courses, including security, prevention of harassment, protection, and more. You will also have regular meetings with your supervisor to reflect on your experiences and learning opportunities.
Through your daily work, you will gain valuable insights into UNHCR and UNHQ structure and processes, develop drafting and analytical skills, and engage in professional networking at an international level. You will also have the opportunity to work on research projects related to UNHCR’s mandate.
To be eligible for this fellowship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a 2024-degree candidate or a recent graduate from a UNESCO-accredited university.
- Hold a degree in international relations, political sciences, law, or a related field.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to international relations, refugee issues, and humanitarian response.
- Possess fluency in English with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be proficient in PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Teams.
- Funding and Medical Insurance
- Selected candidates are required to demonstrate a guaranteed funding source for the one-year period of the fellowship. Additionally, candidates must arrange and provide proof of valid medical insurance covering the fellowship period.
Equal Opportunity Employer
UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Recruitment as a UNHCR staff member or engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme is subject to proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process, and applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
We are particularly interested in receiving applications from people with refugee or stateless backgrounds who can add unique perspectives to our team.
We are offering you an amazing chance to become a part of something that has a fundamental impact on the global stage. Be a part of our mission as we protect and assist refugees worldwide. We can work together to create a positive change. Ready to apply? Click here.