Table of Contents
Introduction to the Fully-Funded Bachelors and Masters Scholarships at the University of the Western Cape with the Mastercard Foundation
Applications are now open for fully funded bachelors and masters scholarships at the University of the Western Cape with the Mastercard Foundation. The University of the Western Cape(UWC) is excited to be an implementing partner of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
Since its inception in 2012, this global initiative has been dedicated to nurturing the next generation of transformative leaders, primarily young Africans, by providing them with the means to pursue higher education and realize their leadership potential. Its motto is ‘A Program for All, With a Focus on Inclusion’.
The Mastercard Foundation Bachelors and Masters Scholarship Program is committed to breaking down barriers to higher education, particularly for young people facing economic and social obstacles. We give special attention to reaching out to young women, refugees, forcibly displaced youth, and individuals with disabilities, all of whom are strongly encouraged to apply.
At the UWC, our Bachelors and Masters Scholarship Program extends its support to academically gifted youth not only from South Africa but also from various parts of the African continent. For the Academic Year 2024, we are thrilled to offer fully funded opportunities for young scholars to pursue undergraduate and Master’s Degree Qualifications.
The University of the Western Cape invites applications for a limited number of both bachelors and masters scholarship degree programs. We welcome qualifying candidates from South Africa and across the African continent who are ready to embark on full-time studies in 2024.
Applications are open to candidates pursuing fields of study in:
- Humanities and Arts: Including Applied Linguistics, History, Gender Justice, Migration Studies, and Sociology for Development
- Community and Health Sciences: Offering Public Health Programs
- Economic and Management Sciences: Covering Development Studies, Information Sciences, and Migration Studies
- Law: Focusing on Governance and Human Rights
- Natural Sciences: Encompassing Biological, Computational, Mathematical, and Physical Sciences
To be eligible for the Mastercard Foundation Bachelors and Masters Scholarship Program at UWC, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be no older than 30 years (for master’s degree studies) or 26 years (for undergraduate studies).
- Meet the University’s minimum admissions requirements and have applied for academic admission to the University for 2024.
- Be prepared to commence their first year of full-time studies in January 2024.
- Provide evidence that social and economic barriers hinder access to university education.
- Candidates pursuing a second master’s degree are ineligible for this scholarship.
Here’s how you can apply to the Mastercard Foundation Bachelors and Masters Scholarship:
Apply for academic study at the University in 2024 by following the admission and financial aid processes. Complete the online application for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, the preferred method of application.
If you are unable to apply online, download the application here, complete it, and email the form along with the supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Ensure that the completed form and supporting documents are submitted in one email.
Note that the deadline for all applications is Friday, 13 October 2023. Due to the high volume of applications received, personalized feedback to applicants is not possible. If you do not receive communication from the university by Friday, 24 November 2023, please consider your application unsuccessful.
- Applicants are strongly advised to submit only ONE complete application. Incomplete and duplicate applications will be rejected.
- Communication from the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UWC will primarily be through email and phone contact. Please ensure your provided phone numbers and email addresses are accurate and active to receive important information and updates.
- Following the selection process, successful applicants will be invited for a virtual or in-person interview conducted by independent panels.
- Applicants found to have provided false information during any stage of the application or selection process will be disqualified. Attempts to influence the selection process will also lead to automatic disqualification.
Don’t miss this opportunity to empower your future through education and leadership development. Apply now and be part of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UWC. Your journey to a brighter future begins here.