Table of Contents
Introduction to the Tokyo University Amgen Scholars Program 2024
The Tokyo University Amgen Scholars Program will be offered in the summer of 2024. The objective of the program is to provide undergraduate students from different countries (including some from Japan) who are committed to or who are considering a career in biology or related sciences and looking to continue to graduate studies with eight weeks of biomedical research experience in the basic and translational sciences.
The Graduate School of Medicine, Graduate School of Engineering, Graduate School of Science, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, and the Institute of Industrial Science offer a diverse range of research opportunities for students. Faculty members of these schools are actively involved in various research projects and are committed to providing a rich and engaging research experience for students who are interested in gaining hands-on experience in their respective fields. These research projects are designed to help students develop critical thinking skills, acquire knowledge of cutting-edge research techniques, and contribute to the advancement of their respective fields.
By the end of their summer experience, students are expected to have acquired knowledge and skills for conducting research. The students are also expected to extend their international friendships through collaborative experiences. These experiences will help the students develop future collaborations in many situations. Travel, lodging, health insurance, and a scholarship are all included in the award’s monetary value.
University Tokyo Amgen Scholars Program applicants must be undergraduate students who are:
- Enrolled in colleges or universities worldwide that award a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent); and
- At the minimum, have completed their first year of undergraduate study at the time the summer program begins, and
- Are not graduating before the summer program begins, and after the summer program ends will resume undergraduate studies for at least 1 semester or 1 quarter
University Tokyo Amgen Scholars Program applicants must also:
- Have a strong record of academic performance, and
- Have a good working knowledge of English, demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 72, IELTS overall band score of 5.5, Cambridge English FCE, TOEIC score of 1095, TOEIC L&R score of 785, or TOEIC S&W score of 310, if not a native English speaker or English is not your first language, and
- Have an interest in pursuing a Ph.D.
- To devote full effort to participation in the Amgen Scholars Program. Scholars can only take courses or hold a job during the duration of the program. In addition, all participants must be able to attend the program for its entire duration.
- To live in the accommodation provided by the University of Tokyo.
- To participate fully in the day-to-day life of the research group, respect the work of all laboratory members, and attend and participate in laboratory meetings or other gatherings.
- To attend the orientation on the first day of the program, attend all required conferences, activities, and social events.
- To give a poster or presentation describing his/her summer research project.
- To submit a research paper to the University Tokyo Amgen Scholars Program Director after the program.
How to Apply
To apply, please follow all application directions closely and get an early start on obtaining the supporting documents. Please review the selection criteria before submitting your application. All applications must be submitted online. Below are the application procedures:
- Prepare Supporting Documents
- Ask two recommenders for the Letter of Reference for you
- Complete the Online Application
It is important to go through all application requirements on the University of Tokyo Amgen Scholars Program web page (see Link below) before applying.
Also apply to: