Do you have aspirations to study in the UK? I guess I have good news for you. Hence, you might want to read through this article for a detailed guide and information about the Gates Cambridge Scholarship for International Students.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship is calling for Applications. Apply Now
Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2023-2024 is a fully funded scholarship for international students. This opportunity encompasses both masters and PhD education. It associates with benefits like the provision of £18,744 stipend yearly, health insurance, academic development funding up to £2,000 and family allowance up to £15,612.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship Program was birthed in October 2000 with a funding of US$ 210 m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation awarded to the University of Cambridge.
This has a record of being the biggest single donation ever made to a UK university.
For 2023, Gates Cambridge will give 80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding qualifiers from outside the United Kingdom to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any field of study available at the University of Cambridge. Moreover, 66% of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
- Level of Study: Masters, PhD
- Institution(s): University of Cambridge
- Location: UK
- Opportunity Focus Areas: All the available courses at the University of Cambridge except:
Any Undergraduate degree such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
Business Doctorate (BusD)
Master of Business (MBA)
Master of Finance (MFin)
MBBChir Clinical Studies
MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Program Duration: Two years for a master’s and three years for a PhD
- For US Citizens: October 12, 2022
- For International Students: This depends on your course – either 1 December 2022 or 5 January 2023 (see Course Directory)
Funding and Benefits
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is associated with the following benefits:
- The University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate
- A maintenance allowance for a single student (£18,744 for 12 months at the 2022-23 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- Inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
- Academic development funding – from up to £500 to up to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £10,944 for one child and up to £15,612 for two or more children (2022-23 rate). No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties facing the scholar
Selection Criteria for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship
Review the following eligibility requirements before going through the application process:
- Required Language: English
- Eligible Countries: All world countries.
- Academic excellence.
- You should be able to make a strong case for a particular postgraduate degree at Cambridge.
- A commitment to improving the lives of others.
- A leadership capacity.
- Applicants must be from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree.
Application Process for Gates Cambridge Scholarship?
Please follow the following application instructions to apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
- Apply for admission to a course and a College place and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section.
- Build up an account on the website.
- Fill in your personal information
- Submit these documents:
- Gates Cambridge Statement: In no more than 3000 characters (approximately 500 words) please explain why you are applying for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and how you meet the four main criteria.
- Upload a CV/Resume
- Research proposal for PhD applicants only
- Gates reference: In addition to two academic references for admission, Gates Cambridge applicants submit a reference about their fit with the scholarship.
- Answer the application questions.
- Submit the application
For more queries, please visit the Gates Cambridge Scholarship official website