The Data Science Fellowship Program is part of Kaduna State’s Data Revolution Plan aimed at strengthening the coordination in the collection and use of data for evidence-based decision-making. This article gives an overview of the fellowship program’s aims and objectives, eligibility criteria, benefits and application method.
Fellowship Programme Aims and Objectives
The programme aims to nurture young Nigerians into becoming data scientists who will be capable of driving data-based decision-making and data-driven development in the state. The fellowship provides an opportunity for young Nigerians to gain the necessary skills and knowledge in data science and to build a portfolio that will aid them in becoming successful professionals in the data science field.
The Data Lab Project is jointly implemented by the Kaduna State Government, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Natview Foundation for Technology Innovation. It is a 5-year project aimed at supporting the State in implementing the Data Revolution Plan, with a core objective of developing human capital around data science and the use of data for decision-making.
The project will provide technical and capacity-building assistance in areas such as data collection, analysis, and visualization to build the capacity of government institutions to use data. It will also provide training and mentoring in data science to help build a skilled human capital base for the State.
- Age: 18yrs – 35yrs except for exceptional cases
- Location: The State of residence must be in Kaduna
- Academic Qualifications: Graduate of Tertiary Institutions in any of the STEMS courses particularly: Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, Economics, Physical Sciences, and any other health-related discipline. Undergraduates within the STEM fields identified who are doing their 6-month to 1-year Internships are also encouraged to apply.
- Competency Level: We are looking for people with the following skills:
- Basic Computer Knowledge
- Basic Knowledge of using Data & Understanding of Microsoft Excel
- Problem-Solving Skills
- Communication Skills(Written and Verbal English)
- Gender: 50% gender balancing and distribution will be considered during the selection process.
Participants of the programme will benefit from the following:
- A chance to upgrade your skills and develop a career in the most sought-after industry in the world.
- An opportunity to work with a team of public policy experts, Data Analysts to contribute to development planning, public policy, and the use of data for evidence-based decision-making in the Health Sector.
- 6 months fully paid internship programme with industry leaders and stakeholders within the health sector.
- Model data using Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning tools within the Amina J. Mohammed SDGs Data Lab.
- Build a sustainable network within the Data Science Ecosystem.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should proceed to read the full details about the program before beginning the application process. Click HERE to check the official announcement page for more information about the application process. Please note that the application deadline is 28th July, 2023.
For more fellowship opportunities AAUW International Fellowships 2023 for Talented Undergraduate and Postgraduate Students | Apply Now