The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is the nation’s leading voice promoting equity and education for women and girls.
Both graduate and postgraduate studies at accredited U.S. institutions are supported.
- Host: American Association of University Women (AAUW)
- Study Abroad: Study in USA | Study in Canada | Study in UK | Study in Europe | Study in Asia | Study in Australia | Study in Africa
- Eligible Countries: All Countries (Except US)
- Reward: $20,000 – $50,000 | Stipends | Accommodation | Allowance
AAUW International Fellowships Details:
Applicants for the AAUW International Fellowships must have earned the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree by the application deadline and must have applied to their proposed institutions of study by the time of the application. Recipients are selected for academic achievement and demonstrated commitment to women and girls.
Recipients of the AAUW International Fellowships return to their home countries to become leaders in business, government, academia, community activism, the arts or scientific fields.
AAUW International Fellowships Requirements:
To be eligible for AAU International Fellowships for Graduate and Postgraduate Students, applicants are expected to meet the following conditions:
- Have citizenship in a country other than the U.S. or possession of a non-immigrant visa if residing in the U.S. Women who are currently, or expect to be during the fellowship year, a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or dual citizen with the U.S. and another country are not eligible.
- Hold an academic degree (earned in the U.S. or abroad) equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree completed by November 15, 2022.
- Intend to devote themselves full-time to the proposed academic plan during the fellowship year.
- Intend to return to their home country to pursue a professional career and upon completion of their studies.
- Be proficient in English and confirm proficiency by submitting one of the Required Components (see below), which include certain English proficiency exams, transcripts from English-speaking institutions, or a written statement verifying English is the applicant’s native language. Applicants planning to take one of the accepted English proficiency exams should plan for and take the test as early as possible. Please direct questions about the tests to the test provider.
- Master’s/first professional degree and doctoral applicants must have applied by November 15, 2023, to an accredited institution of study for the period of the fellowship year and must indicate the name of the institution in the International Fellowship application. While acceptance is not required at the time of application, fellows must provide official confirmation from the institution with their award acceptance materials.
- Master’s/first professional degree fellowships are intended for master’s or professional degree-level programs such as J.D., M.F.A., L.L.M., M.Arch., or medical degrees such as M.D., D.D.S., etc. Certificates, associate degrees, and undergraduate degrees are ineligible.
- Doctoral fellowships are intended for doctorate degrees classified as research degrees, such as Ph.D. or Ed.D.
- Postdoctoral applicants must provide proof of their doctorate degree; hold a doctorate classified as a research degree (e.g., Ph.D., Ed.D., D.B.A., D.M.) or an M.F.A. by November 15, 2023; and indicate where they will conduct their research.
- Master’s/first professional degree and doctoral applicants must be enrolled in a U.S. accredited institution located in the U.S. during the fellowship year.
- A limited number of awards are available to Graduate Women International members for study or research in any country other than their own. Note that foreign branches of U.S. institutions are considered outside of the U.S.
- Applicants can apply for the fellowship for any year of their program but must be conducting a full year of study or research. International Fellowships do not provide funding for a partial year of study or research. Programs ending prior to April of the fellowship year are not eligible.
AAUW International Fellowships Duration and Reward
Applicants for AAU International Fellowships for Graduate and Postgraduate Students will receive the following fellowship funds:
- Master’s/first professional degree: $20,000
- Doctoral: $25,000
- Postdoctoral: $50,000
- Educational expenses
- Living expenses
- Dependent child care
- Travel to professional meetings, conferences or seminars that does not exceed 10% of the fellowship total.
The panel meets once a year to review applications for funding. Awards are based on the criteria outlined here. Recommendations by the panel are subject to final approval by AAUW. Fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis according to funds available in a given fiscal year.
To ensure a fair review process, AAUW does not comment on the deliberations of its award panels. AAUW does not provide evaluations of applications. No provisions exist for reconsideration of fellowship proposals. Applications and supporting documents become the sole property of AAUW and will neither be returned nor held for another year.
- Applicants for the AAUW International Fellowships residing in their home country at time of application, from developing/emerging countries, or from an underrepresented group in any region, will receive special consideration.
- Position on return to home country.
- Academic and/or professional qualifications.
- Demonstrated commitment to the advancement of women and girls in home country.
- Proposed time schedule.
- Quality and feasibility of proposed plan of study or research.
- Demonstrated evidence of prior community and/or civic service in home country.
- Applicant’s country’s need for the specialized knowledge or skill.
- Financial need.
- Motivation for graduate study or research.
Method of Application
Interested and eligible applicants for AAU International Fellowships for Graduate and Postgraduate Students should fill and submit application online for the fellowship program.
For questions or technical support from ISTS, contact our technical consultant by sending an email to [email protected]. Enter AAUW-IF if the website prompts you for a program key. We encourage applicants for the AAUW International Fellowships not to opt out of communications from ISTS, to ensure you receive important communications from AAUW.
- November 15, 2022, by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time: Deadline for online submission of application, recommendations, and supporting documents.
- April 15, 2023: Notification of decisions emailed to all applicants. AAUW is not able to honor requests for earlier notification.
- July 1, 2023–June 30, 2024: Fellowship year
When a date falls on a weekend or holiday, the date will be observed on the following business day.