The University of Guelph Arrell Scholarships is for emerging scholars who are not only academically outstanding but also passionately committed to ensuring that future generations are well fed, that diets are nutritious and equitable, and that agriculture is sustainable.
The Arrell Food Institute at the University of Guelph is now accepting scholarship applications for students entering a graduate program in the Fall 2023 semester.
- Host Country: Canada
- Study Abroad: Study in Canada
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: $50,000
As a complement to their graduate research, successful applicants will provide leadership within multi-disciplinary teams of graduate students, who will work with the community, government, and industry partners, and the University of Guelph experts linked to the Arrell Food Institute, to address global food issues.
For insights into some of Guelph’s agriculture and food scholars, please refer to the Experts Guide at the University of Guelph and Arrell Food Institute at the University of Guelph.
- Students entering a graduate program in the Fall semester following the application deadline with a minimum first-class (A-) admissions average,
- whose research aligns with the vision of the Arrell Food Institute, and
- who have the support of a prospective University of Guelph faculty advisor.
- In cases of extenuating circumstances, students may be able to defer the start of the award, subject to approval by their graduate program and the Arrell Food Institute.
Please refer to the OGPS admissions website for information on how to calculate your admission average.
The scholarships will be awarded following a selection process through which all application files will be screened and then reviewed by a scholarship selection committee based upon:
- Outstanding academic achievement;
- Relevance of proposed research and personal motivation to the vision of the Arrell Food Institute;
- Demonstration of commitment to public engagement, as evidenced in the CV; and an
- Interview with the scholarship selection committee for those applicants that are short-listed.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
- Master’s – $50,000 per year for up to 2 years (6 semesters)
- Doctoral – $50,000 per year for up to 4 years (12 semesters)
The scholarship will be applied to the recipient’s student account in three equal installments per year for the duration of the award. In exceptional circumstances, a one semester extension may be awarded, subject to approval by the Arrell Food Institute.
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- a statement of research interests and personal motivations (maximum 2 pages, references not included);
- a current CV;
- a letter of support from a prospective University of Guelph faculty advisor, which also confirms that the applicant will be accepted into a graduate program.
- Applicants are advised to seek support from a prospective University of Guelph faculty advisor prior to beginning the application process.
- The online Arrell Scholarship application will automatically send an email to your prospective advisor requesting their response.
- Please confirm with your prospective advisor that they have received the email and advise them of the response deadline (listed above).
Method of Application
Important note about deadlines: Please pay careful attention to the 12:01 AM time listed for each deadline. For example, a deadline of 12:01 AM 2/22/2023 means applicants must complete the step before 2/22/2023 (i.e. by midnight on 2/21/2023).
- Start the online Arrell Scholarship Application & Confirm Your Email before 12:01 AM – 2/22/2023
- After you submit the online Arrell Scholarship application, you will receive an email asking you to confirm your email and Arrell submission. Please click the link in the email to continue your application.
- Submit the online application to a graduate program before 12:01 AM – 2/22/2023
- Please refer to Steps 4 and 5 in the Applying to Guelph application directions.
- Receive Prospective University of Guelph Advisor’s Response to the Arrell Scholarship Application before 12:01 AM 2/28/2023
Please use your prospective advisor’s University of Guelph email address (@uoguelph.ca). Your prospective advisor will be emailed a link after you have confirmed your email and Arrell submission (see step 1).
Please confirm with your prospective advisor that they have received the email and advise them of the response deadline.
- OGPS receives All Application Documents and References before 12:01 AM 3/3/2023
- Please refer to Step 5 in the Applying to Guelph application directions and ensure you have submitted all required documents for your graduate program application.
- Complete your Arrell Submission before 12:01 AM 3/3/2023
You will receive a confirmation email for this step after your Prospective Advisor submits their response. By clicking the link in the confirmation email, you are confirming that you have completed your graduate program application and your Arrell Scholarship application.
Applicants are to completely submit applications before the Deadline: February 22, 2023