The funding is for a period of at least 3 and not more than 12 months.
Applications are open for the Argelander Scholarships for doctoral candidates from universities in the Global South.
- Host Country: Germany
- Study Abroad: Study in Europe
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | €1,500 Monthly Stipend | Travel Allowance | Family Allowance
- Deadline: May 1, 2023
This funding line is intended to intensify collaborations between scientists in Bonn and their partners in the above- mentioned regions, and expand such collaborations with respect to the promotion of early-career researchers.
After submission, a formal or informal cooperation agreement should already exist between the home institute of the doctoral candidate and the host institute in Bonn. The host researchers in Bonn act as applicants.
To receive consideration for the scholarship, you must see below:
International doctoral candidates pursuing a doctoral degree at a university or a research institute in Africa, Latin America or Asia receive preference.
Doctoral candidates who are already pursuing their Ph.D. at the University of Bonn are not eligible for funding. Recipients of funding should finish their doctorates at their home university (to avoid brain drain).
Project proposals receives evaluation in two categories:
- Academic Quality and Mutual Benefit: quality of the research project to be worked on during the stay in Bonn; relevance of the research topic to developments in the region of origin; scholars contribution to academic life in Bonn (e.g. via public lectures, seminars or colloquiums); scholars integration into the host institute (place of work, integration into existing teaching and research activities) and into an effective supervision concept
- Strategic Relevance and Potential for Future Cooperation: Intensity of the existing cooperation; plans for long-term research relationships between the scholar and the host institute in Bonn; connection to Bonn’s research profile; how the research will be shared with broader academic communities
In the case of a tie between two proposals, the project with a higher score in the category academic quality and mutual benefit will receive preference
- Pre-assessment: anonymous by independent experts from the University of Bonn
- Final decision: a committee made up of representatives from all of University of Bonn’s faculties will discuss the shortlist and select the fellowships.
- Depending on the requested amounts, up to five projects can be funded
- Approval rate 2021: 8 proposals, 4 grants
Scholarship Duration and Reward
The funding can cover the following:
- A travel allowance (depending on country of origin)
- A scholarship of €1,500 per month (additional funds for accompanying family members: up to €300 for a spouse and €250 per child)
- After receiving the scholarship award, the international Office will receive a research expense allowance of up to €300 per month . Information on applying for the allowance will be provided with your scholarship award.
The funding is for a period of at least 3 and not more than 12 months. When calculating costs, please note the instructions in the financing plan (and use the following Excel table, download here).
To apply, candidates must be ready to submit the following documents;
- Online form
- Project description (PDF of max. 8 pages), consisting of:
- An outline of the research project to be worked on during the person’s stay in Bonn;
please write your proposal for a multidisciplinary audience
- Reasons for the host to invite the doctoral candidate
- An outline of how the doctoral candidate will get alliance at the host institute (place of work, participation in the institute’s teaching and research activities), and an outline of how the project will get supervision in Bonn
- Justification by the home university regarding the academic goal of the research stay in Bonn
- Information on the current status of the doctorate and the planned completion of the doctorate in the home country
- CV and motivational letter of the doctoral candidate (PDF)
- A financing plan (please use the following Excel table, download here)
Method of Application
A full-time professor from the University of Bonn must submit the application. Up to two applications per host/professor will receive consideration. The doctoral candidates must submit a signed motivational letter
Use the link below to apply