The MINDS Scholarship Programme is now calling for applications from African aspirants in 2023. Do you have an interest in this opportunity? Read tothe end because we will be discussing the eligibility criteria, its benefits, and the step-by-step application process.
The MINDS Scholarship Programme for Leadership Development in Africa’s main objective is bringing to the realization our vision of developing young leaders who have a continent-wide development mindset and leaders who can facilitate greater cooperation between African countries.
The Scholarship Programme enables African students to study in an African country other than their home country and in this way immerse themselves in richness and diversity that the country and its communities has to offer.
By broadening access to education, we see the expansion of openness to ideas and the creation of a network of like-minded leaders who will help promote the performance and tangible progress of our continent. There is no doubt that a more integrated African economy of global scale will accelerate growth, generate positive outcomes and benefit all its communities.
- Host: Mandela Institute for Development Studies (MINDS)
- Study Abroad: Study in Africa
- Eligible Countries: All African Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | Accommodation | Monthly Stipends | Airfare Ticket
- Deadline: Not specified
MINDS’ offers scholarships to Africans who wish to pursue post-graduate studies within Africa, outside of their own countries. Through tailored leadership development activities, the MINDS Scholarship Programme aims to nurture leaders who have a continental development mindset; leaders who will facilitate greater cohesion and cooperation between African countries.
MINDS Scholarships are applicable to full-time studies of a one or two-year Honors or Master’s degree at one of the MINDS institutions (listed below). MINDS does not prescribe the course to candidate, they have the free will to pick the one of their choice.
Meritorious applicants following a rigorous selection process receive the MINDS Scholarships. To receive consideration for a MINDS Scholarship, you must:
- Be a national of an African country, residing in any African country
- Have been formally accepted by one or more MINDS preferred institution/s outside of your country of citizenship and/ or residency
- Have been formally accepted by one or more MINDS preferred institution/s to pursue postgraduate studies within the following year
- Have obtained at least 70% in each subject/ course in the last two completed years of study
- Produce evidence of demonstrated leadership abilities or potential guided by the questions/ requirements set out in the application form
- Submit a complete online application form (see below) with the required supporting documentation.
Scholarship Reward & Duration
The Scholarship will cover some or all of the expenses below, depending on whether a partial or full scholarship is awarded:
- Accommodation and meals
- One return ticket per duration of studies
- A fixed stipend.
Individuals with a Pan-African outlook, demonstrated leadership ability and an excellent academic record who wish to study on the African continent, outside their home country are invited to apply for the scholarships.
To be eligible to receive a MINDS Scholarship, an applicant must get acceptance to study at one of the following institutions:
- African Leadership University, Rwanda
- Carnegie Mellon University in Rwanda, Rwanda
- Makerere University, Uganda
- Strathmore University, Kenya
- African Leadership University, Mauritius
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- University of Mauritius, Mauritius
- University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
- Al Akhawayn University, Morocco
- Université Cadi Ayyad, Morocco
- Université Mohammed V, Morocco
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science & Technology, Ghana
- Pan-Atlantic University (Lagos Business School), Nigeria
- University of Development Studies, Ghana
Method of Application
MINDS is currently receiving applications from students who commence their studies in 2018/2019. Interested individuals are invited to submit applications as soon as they receive official acceptance from a MINDS preferred university at which they wish to study. Applications will be processed in the order they are received.
If you meet the eligibility criteria above, you can submit your application by clicking on the link below. Please have the following documents scanned, saved and ready for uploading. All documents uploaded must be in PDF format. Each attachment should not exceed 2MB in size.
- A copy of the data/ bio page of your passport.
- An original academic transcript/ results slip of the last two years of study.
- A copy of the official acceptance letter from the university. The letter must:
- be addressing the applicant.
- State the degree which the applicant has been accepted to study.
- State the academic year at which the degree will commence.
- State the duration of the course (e.g. one year).
- A copy of a valid study permit or visa OR proof of application. (Optional)
- A detailed CV/ Resume of not more than four (4) single sided pages.
- Two reference letters (of not more than 3 pages each) addressing the applicant’s demonstration of integrity, their competency and/or potential as a leader and their commitment to the development of the African continent.