Table of Contents
Introduction to the Government of Germany DAAD Scholarships for Artists and Filmmakers
Applications are now open for the government of Germany’s DAAD Scholarships 2024/2025 for Artists and Filmmakers. These study scholarships aim to provide foreign applicants from the fields of Fine Art, Design, Film, music, and architecture, as well as Drama, Direction, dance, and choreography, with the opportunity to complete a course of extension studies without gaining a formal degree of qualification at a German state (public) or state-recognized institution of higher education.
Eligibility for Government of Germany DAAD Scholarships
Foreign applicants who have gained a first university degree in the field of the Performing Arts at the latest by the time they commence their scholarship-supported study program In this study programme, you can complete
- a Master’s degree or postgraduate degree leading to a final qualification, or
- a complementary course that does not lead to a final qualification (not an undergraduate course) at a state or state-recognized German university of your choice.
This program only funds projects in the artistic field of the Performing Arts (Drama, theater directing and theater Dramaturgy, Musicals, Performance Studies, Dance, and choreography). Other DAAD scholarship programs are available for applicants from the fields of theater and Dance Studies or for artists with a scientific project.
Benefits of Government of Germany’s DAAD Scholarships
- A monthly payment of 850 euros
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- One-off study allowance
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
Under certain circumstances, scholarship holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- Monthly rent subsidy
- Monthly allowance for accompanying members of a family
To enable scholarship holders to learn German in preparation for their stay in the country, DAAD offers the following services:
- Payment of course fees for the online language course “Deutsch-Uni Online (DUO)” (Deutsch-uni.com) for six months after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter
- If necessary: a language course (2, 4, or 6 months) before the start of the study visit; the DAAD decides whether to fund participation and for how long, depending on German language skills and the project. Participation in a language course is compulsory if the language of instruction or working language is German at the German host institution.
- Allowance for a personally chosen German language course during the scholarship period
- Reimbursement of the fees for the TestDaF test, which has either been taken in the home country after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter or in Germany before the end of the funding period
- As an alternative to the TestDaF for scholarship holders who have taken a language course beforehand: the fee for a DSH examination taken during the scholarship period may be reimbursed.
Duration of Program
- Masters and postgraduate study programmes: Between 10 and 24 months, depending on the length of the chosen study programme or project
- Complementary studies not leading to a final qualification: One academic year
How to Apply
The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal. You are also required to send additional documents by mail to the specified application address. Note that the deadline for applications is November 2, 2023. Click HERE to begin your application.