Table of Contents
Introduction to the McDonnell Academy Graduate Fellowships
Applications are now open for the McDonnell Academy 2024-25 Graduate Fellowships. The McDonnell Academy selects scholars based on outstanding academic achievement and on an applicant’s commitment to learning about international issues and global leadership.
The Academy focuses on developing the next generation of global leaders. It provides scholars with the opportunity to explore the most pressing issues of our time and develop innovative solutions. Academy scholars are expected to return to their home countries with the skills to create positive change.
About the McDonnell Academy 2024-25 Graduate Fellowships
The McDonnell International Scholars Academy fellowship program cultivates a community of culturally and academically diverse leaders who will address the world’s most complex challenges by driving positive and lasting change. Through its longstanding international partnerships, the program is an incubator of groundbreaking ideas that advance collaborative interdisciplinary research. A transformational experience, the Academy enhances leadership capacity through mentorship, professional development, and unique engagement opportunities.
It is this foundation that builds the character and conviction to lead with a global mindset and social responsibility. McDonnell Scholars are selected based on their ability to emerge as leaders who are experts in their fields with perspectives that reflect cultural competence. Scholars are given a generous financial package to support their graduate and professional degree studies at Washington University in St. Louis.
McDonnell Scholars come from varied degree programs and different countries in order to maximize the diversity of the program and create a rich dialogue and experience. In selecting our scholars, we consider academic distinction, global mindset, leadership, and community. We look for scholars who have the potential and ambition to become global leaders and make a positive impact on the world. We also look for scholars who will bring a unique perspective and value to the program. Finally, we look for scholars who will contribute to the vibrant and inclusive environment of the program.
The McDonnell Graduate Fellowship Benefits
McDonnell Scholars receive both financial and programmatic support, including:
- Full tuition and a monthly living stipend
- A relocation expense allowance and travel allowance
- Opportunity to reside in private, modern cohort housing within walking distance to campus, and
- Multifaceted instruction, cultural experiences, dedicated mentorship, and an expansive worldwide network of students and alumni
The McDonnell Graduate Fellowships Eligibility Criteria
The McDonnell International Scholars graduate fellowship is open to prospective graduate and professional degree students who plan to attend Washington University in St. Louis and enroll in one of a select group of full-time doctoral or master’s degree programs.
To qualify to apply for the McDonnell International Scholars program:
- Applicants must apply to an eligible WashU doctoral or master’s degree program. An application to the McDonnell Academy is separate from and in addition to an application to a graduate degree program at Washington University in St. Louis. Applicants must apply separately to both the McDonnell Academy and the WashU doctoral or master’s program.
- Applicants must have earned or plan to earn a bachelor’s degree or higher before the end of the 2023-24 academic year (July 2024).
- This fellowship is not available for undergraduate studies.
- Applicants from all countries are welcome. However, priority is given to international graduate candidates who are graduates of one of the Academy’s partner universities.
Ready to apply? Ready to embark on an empowering academic journey?