Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) Scholarship IS to enable academically meritorious and financially impoverished young Muslim students from Muslim communities in non-Muslim Communities to undertake Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Training.
Mindful of the importance of qualified human resources for social advancement and sustainable development, the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) has been very keen from the outset of its establishment to focus on human capital development alongside its mainstream development financing activities.
In recognition of the vital need to develop the human resources of the Muslim communities in non-Member Countries (non-MCs), IsDB launched its undergraduate scholarship programme (SP) in 1983 under the title Scholarship Programme for Muslim Communities (SPMC).
- Host: Islamic Development Bank (IsDB)
- Study Abroad: Study in USA | Study in Canada | Study in UK | Study in Europe | Study in Asia | Study in Australia | Study in Africa
- Eligible Countries:
- Reward: Full Scholarship | Accommodation | Monthly Stipend | Health Inusrance
Under the programme, the students are required to repay the loan after graduation and employment, in easy instalments, to the IsDB Education Trust (IET), a Waqf set up (or to be set up) in the students’ countries. The students are also required to play an active role in community development.
The repaid fund is recycled to provide more scholarships to other eligible students from the same community to complement the direct IsDB scholarships and to sustain the programme in the long run. On the other hand, the community development services rendered by the IsDB graduates will contribute to the socioeconomic development of the community and country.
The programme’s main objective is to be for academically meritorious but financially needy Muslim students with a strong desire to engage in social services and community development. They must also be able to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- In need of financial assistance without which study may have to stop
- Maximum age of 24 years
- Not an IsDB staff member or Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of any type of appointment (including temporary and consultant) of the IsDB Group nor a close relative by blood or adoption, with the term “close relative” defined as mother, father, sister, half-sister, brother, half-brother, son, daughter, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew;
- Completed senior secondary education (or the equivalent of approximately 12 years of education) with good grades in major science subjects
- Provided evidence of language proficiency in the university medium of instruction as relevant. The language proficiency must be supported by a document or certificate, e.g., for English, by a recognized language certificate such as TOEFL or IELTS or by having passed the required level test conducted such as by the British Council or equivalent system in French or other languages.
- Provided certified English or French translation of all documents in case they are initially in other languages
- Be medically fit and willing to undergo medical examination after selection
- Having secured admission in one of the disciplines covered under the programme at a recognized college or university in their own country is desirable;
- Not living in a country other than his/her home country.
- Not a beneficiary of any other scholarship at the time of application and during studies.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
The recipients of the Islamic Development Bank scholarships receive a number of benefits throughout their studies, either in their countries or in other universities abroad, some of the IsDB scholarship benefits include:
- A monthly stipend that varies according to the country of study.
- A full tuition fee coverage.
- Medical Insurance.
- Roundtrip airline tickets.
- A settlement allowance is granted to students who study abroad.
- Graduation thesis preparation allowance. (For postgraduate students).
- Conference participation allowance, books and clothing allowance (for doctoral students)
- Allowance for preparing scientific papers (post-doctoral program)
Currently, there are four available programmes by IsDB:
1. IsDB Scholarship Programme for Muslim Communities in Non-Member Countries (SPMC)
The SPMC got its establishment in 1983 to enable academically meritorious and financially impoverished young Muslim students.
2. IsDB Master of Science Scholarship Programme (M.Sc.)
The M.Sc. Scholarship Programme got its establishment in 1998 to assist 20 IsDB LDMCs in the development of their human capital. The focus areas are in science and technology, which are both relevant and necessary for their development.
3. IsDB Merit Scholarship Programme for High Technology (MSP)
The implementation of the Merit Scholarship Programme commenced in 1992. The programme main objective is to advance studies and/or research (3-year Ph.D. and 6-12-month post-Doctorate) in 16 applied science and high technology areas deemed necessary for the development of the MCs.
4. IsDB-ISFD Scholarship Programme
The IsDB-ISFD Programme got its establishment in 2019 by IsDB and the Islamic Solidarity Fund for Development (ISFD), with the specific aim of reducing poverty in 21 Least Developed IsDB Member Countries (LDMCs). The programme provides educational opportunities for academically meritorious and financially impoverished young men and women from 21 LDMCs to pursue bachelor studies in medicine, engineering, agriculture and other related fields or a technical diploma at a public institute in their home countries or in other IsDB member countries
Guidance & Counselling Activities
IsDB graduates are the key to deliver the impact of socioeconomic development programmes in their countries. Therefore, IsDB felt the need to motivate students to fulfil the IsDB dream of not only producing successful graduates but also developing them as good citizens and competent professionals capable of achieving IsDB’s corporate objectives regarding the development of their communities and countries.
Method of Application
To apply, simply submit your application through the scholarship online portal using the link below
Don’t miss this opportunity and submit your application before the deadline on April 30th, 2023.