Table of Contents
Introduction to the Chilean Government Nelson Mandela Scholarships
The Chilean International Cooperation Agency (AGCI) is offering scholarships for accredited Spanish-taught Master’s programs at Chilean higher education institutions in 2024.The scholarships are offered for Master’s degrees to professionals who are citizens of South Africa, Mozambique and Angola.
About the Scholarships
For the academic year 2024, the Chilean Agency for International Cooperation and Development (AGCID) offers scholarships to perform accredited Master’s Degree studies in Chilean Universities or other higher education institutions. These scholarships are offered to professionals who are citizens of South Africa, Mozambique, and Angola.
AGCID’s Horizontal Cooperation Scholarship Program began in 1993 and, to date, more than 1,000 Latin American and Caribbean professionals have completed post-graduate programs in various fields of specialization offered by Chilean universities or higher education institutions, and, as of the year 2015, the Scholarship Program has been extended to citizens of South Africa, Mozambique, and Angola.
Available Fields of Study
A wide range of fields are available including fields related to:
- Public Policy Management
- Mining and Geology
- Information technology
- Business and economics
- Public health
The scholarship program is offered to professionals who are citizens of South Africa, Mozambique and Angola and preferably work in the public or academic sectors in their home country. Applicants must have:
- Experience in the subjects they choose to pursue Master’s studies in
- Unconditional acceptance offer at a Chilean higher education institution
- A 4-year university degree
- If employed already, you will need a letter of support, indicating that you will be released for the duration of your studies.
For granting scholarships, there will be the following priority criteria:
- Applications submitted by government officials or academics from universities officially recognized by the respective country.
- Applications that correspond to Annex 1 (See in Link below), which contains the Accredited Master Degree Programs.
- Applications to the areas of ASTRONOMY, AGRICULTURE, ENERGY, PUBLIC POLICY MANAGEMENT, HEALTH, ENVIRONMENT, AND MINING, among others, that appear on the List of Masters programs contained in Annex 1 attached to this Call for Applications.
Benefits of the Chilean Government Nelson Mandela Scholarships
Applicants of the Chilean government Nelson Mandela scholarships are entitled to the following benefits:
- Spanish language course (can be in parallel with studies or before the beginning of the studies)
- Return airfare
- Tuition fees
- Graduation costs
- Medical insurance
- Monthly allowance
Note: Successful applicants will be required to take funds with them to Chile to cover initial costs while administration of stipend payments is being finalized an amount of at least US$ 500 is recommended.
Duration of the Scholarship Programs
Scholarships are awarded, depending on the duration of the studies program chosen, up to a maximum period of thirty (30) months, including the immersion course in the Spanish language that must be completed and approved in this period, detailed below. If the scholarship holder does not participate in the Spanish language immersion course, by having certified Spanish language proficiency beforehand, the maximum period of the scholarship will be twenty-four (24) months.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit the AGCID Grant application with the below annexe documents electronically to the e-mail email@example.com.
- Letter of acceptance of the chosen study programme;
- Medical certificate – physical and mental;
- Original certificate of Professional Title or authorized copy by a public notary;
- Curriculum Vitae, with emphasis on work and academic background;
- The motivational letter containing the reasons that drive the applicant to study in Chile;
- Brief description of the possible areas and topics of the thesis;
- Academic reference letter;
- Letter of sponsorship from the employing institution (if applicable);
- Affidavit accepting the terms and conditions of the scholarship.
The application process, as well as more details on the scholarship, can be found HERE. Note that the deadline for applications is 10 November 2023.