Obama Foundation Freedom Summer Grant Program aims to support local organizations that are working to reduce violence in communities this summer by creating and expanding spaces and programming where boys and young men of color can safely learn, play, and engage.
Freedom Summer is anchored to the MBK Alliance’s sixth milestone, that all youth should remain safe from violent crime. According to a report by the University of Chicago’s Crime Lab, violent crime in Chicago peaks during the hot summer months:
There are about twice as many shootings on days over 85 degrees as there are on days under 50 degrees. Freedom Summer aims to support local organizations as they endeavor to engage youth and contribute to a downturn in violence this summer.
- Host Country: United States of America (USA)
- Category: Fellowships
- Reward: $30,000 Grant.
The Obama Foundation Grant Program Details:
The Obama Foundation Leaders Africa program will inspire, empower, and connect emerging leaders from across the African continent through a core set of shared values and leadership skills. Together, they will form a network of innovative and ethical changemakers and positive role models who will be well-prepared to create tangible solutions to the biggest challenges in their communities, countries, and continent.
From government, to civil society, to the private sector and beyond, we’re looking for changemakers who have demonstrated a commitment to advancing the common good within
The Obama Foundation Grant Program Requirements:
To be considered for the Obama Foundation Grant, you must:
- Eligible Freedom Summer applicants must be a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization or a sponsored project of a 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor with a valid sponsorship agreement in place.
- The MBK Alliance is looking to support projects that will have a potentially lifesaving impact on boys and young men of color this summer.
Duration and Reward
- Each Freedom Summer awardee will receive a $30,000 grant.
- Freedom Summer applications will be evaluated based upon whether or not the eligible applicant’s project proposal aligns with the mission of Freedom Summer.
- Project proposals should be able to measure their projected impact on boys and young men of color and focus on executing creative ways to keep youth engaged and safe this summer.
Method of Application for The Obama Foundation Grant Program
Interested and qualified applicants for The Obama Foundation Grant should apply using the link below
To apply for the grant, eligible organizations must provide:
- Proof of 501(c)(3) status or partnership agreement
- A short narrative describing the proposed project that meets the mission of Freedom Summer
- An explanation of how the project will impact the lives of boys and young men of color and how the organization will measure success
- A signed letter of support (from CEO or Senior Executive) that details an overview of the programming that the funds will cover and describes any relationships or partnerships that will support the effort
- A simple budget indicating expected expenses
- Age group to be supported by the application
- The neighborhood or community the project will serve